Tuesday 10 January 2012

Review: Divergent By Veronica Roth


Read GoodReads Synopsis.

          Rating: 3.1


Author:  Veronica Roth
First Published: 3rd May 2011
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Paperback Pages: 487






Was kind of a disappointment  for me. Maybe because I expected too much? I  don't know. There was just something about this book that just really pissed me off. I honestly I can't point out what that is. But you know when you just see someone and you immediately feel irritated, even though they haven't  done anything to you.  Yeah, that's  kind of what its like with this. 

Okay so prepare for some bashing. I am kind start off on a bad note today. I have a good reason though, my parrot died couple of hours ago. Not kidding. Alright let's GO....

This was a disappointment to me as I already stated. I  didn't feel as if I connected with any of the characters, they just all annoyed me. Except Uriah. I liked him, he was fun. I felt like the main character 'Tris' was just meh... Can't really find words to describe how I feel about her. Or that could be the fact that I don't really remember shit about her. Four was just well Four. To me he felt quite cliche. I detest cliche.  Eric was the typical 'other' villain. Nothing surprising there.
Peter was one of the two characters that I actually read the story for( The other being Uriah, I don't even know why I like him to be honest but you know). I kept wanting to see what other crazy ass shit he's gonna do. 

To me personally the most disappointing thing was the fact that the story was soooo predictable. It's unreal. Yes of course there were some things that were not as predictable. But the predicable overrode it.

Now you must be wondering why on earth I gave it such a high rating, after bashing it.
Well, I did like the concept. I liked the fact that they could choose their future, because I don't think alot of dystopians do that. In addition I also liked the world building. I honestly felt that I was there and I could imagine being there.
The action was also satisfactory, it wasn't great. But it wasn't THAT bad.
But honestly I think that the reason I am giving this a quite a high mark is because I still want to know what happens despite the fact that ending is quite shitty.
I am sure I have more good things to say about this,but they don't seem to be coming into my head. Trust me the book is probably better than I am painting it now.

Now if you haven't Divergent. I recommend reading it because an awful lot of people enjoyed this book. So don't be put off.

Now some of the quote's I liked:
“A brave man acknowledges the strength of others.” 
“Sometimes, the best way to help someone is just to be near them.” 
“We believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.”
“Why do people want to pretend that death is sleep? It isn't. It isn't.”  
“Human beings as a whole cannot be good for long before the bad creeps back in and poisons us again.” 
“It must require bravery to be honest all the time.” 
“Human reason can excuse any evil; that is why it's so important that we don't rely on it."
That is death-shifting from "is" to "was".
but we just have to let the guilt remind us to do better next time.
I have a theory that selflessness and bravery aren't all that different.
One bad thing goes away, and another bad thing replaces it.
But sometimes it isn't fighting that's brave, it's facing the death you know is coming.
choosing death is like exploring an unknown, uncertain place.







No comments:

Post a Comment