Thursday 12 January 2012

Review: Daughter Of Smoke And Bone By Laini Taylor


Read GoodReads Synopsis
     
                     Rating: 3.5

Author: Laini Taylor
First Published: 26th of August 2011
Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton
Hardcover Pages: 418



Let me just start of by saying that I own a SIGNED copy!!!! FuckYeah!!!
And I prefer the other cover, but this cover makes a little bit more sense and it's still gorgeous nonetheless.

Today I will start of with the things that I loved about this book.  

The world building is AMAZING. No words can describe how stunning it is. I felt like I was there, I could imagine the portals. Sometimes I honestly wondered if they exist. Honestly. It left such an impression on me. One of the best world building fantasy novels I have read.
And the heroine kicked ass. She is just the best. Couldn't have asked for more. Her name is also pretty kickass- Karou. I mean come on who wouldnt want their name to mean hope and sound so awesome???
Plus Akiva is Beautiful <3
And the writing is just captivating.

Now on with the things that I think could've been done better:

I think like most people I had the most problem with the whole love at first sight thing. I feel like the whole awesomeness just stopped for the whole love at first sight thing. Mind you she didn't actually started describing his jawline... that would have been just creepy.
In addition when Akiva and Karou met I already had an idea of who Karou was and I wasn't exactly a fan of  that because I love when the author makes me guess everything.
Moreover I felt that the couple of last chapters were a tad disorganized. As if Laini just wasn't bothered to put them neatly so she just threw everything in at the last minute to run out the door somewhere.

I can't wait for the next book. Especially the world building.
You must read it! 
Like Now!!!
What You Still Doing Here?????

On with the quotes:

“Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love. It did not end well.” 
“Hope can be a powerful force. Maybe there's no actual magic in it, but when you know what you hope for most and hold it like a light within you, you can make things happen, almost like magic.” 
“I don't know many rules to live by,' he'd said. 'But here's one. It's simple. Don't put anything unnecessary into yourself. No poisons or chemicals, no fumes or smoke or alcohol, no sharp objects, no inessential needles--drug or tattoo--and...no inessential penises either.' 

'Inessential penises?' Karou had repeated, delighted with the phrase in spite of her grief. 'Is there any such thing as an essential one?' 

'When an essential one comes along, you'll know,' he'd replied.” 
“Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.” 
“I know it's not easy for you, living this life, but try to remember, always try to remember, you're not the only one with troubles.” 
“Happiness. It was the place where passion, with all its dazzle and drumbeat, met something softer: homecoming and safety and pure sunbeam comfort. It was all those things, intertwined with the heat and the thrill, and it was as bright within her as a swallowed star.” 
“Hey! My body may be small, but my soul is large. It’s why I wear platforms. So I can reach the top of my soul.” 
“Peace is more than the absence of war. Peace is accord. Harmony.” 
“For the way loneliness is worse when you return to it after a reprieve—like the soul’s version of putting on a wet bathing suit, clammy and miserable.” 
“It's not like there's a law against flying." 

"Yes there is. The law of gravity.” 
“How much does your life have to suck to want the Apocalypse?” 
“Love is a luxury." 
"No. Love in an element." 
An element. Like air to breathe, earth to stand on.” 
“Have you ever asked yourself,do monsters make war, or does war make monsters?
“The truth, she found, felt smooth, like a skipping stone in the palm of your hand.” 












No comments:

Post a Comment