Thursday 12 January 2012

Review: Clockwork Prince By Cassandra Clare



Read GoodReads Synopsis
Rating: 3.7
Author: Cassandra Clare
First Published: December 6th 2011
Publisher: Walker Books
Paperback Pages:496




Alright so, I have been sitting here staring at my screen pondering on what to write for the past 10 minutes. I have no clue how to put my opinions  into words let alone actual readable sentences.

I guess I will start by saying I am Team Will. It's just he has left such an impression on me from Clockwork Angel that I still sometimes catch myself thinking of him. He left me heartbroken. He wasted five years of his life, when he could have been happy a long time ago. Without Tessa. And now she has broken his heart and will probably break Jem's heart aswell. I don't think she truly loves any of them. I think she is in love with an idea of being in love after reading all her novels. But as I said that's my opinion.

Alright so Clockwork Prince took me a while to get into and a while to finish. Sometimes the story just dragged a bit. And most of the time my mind was on who she actually was going to end up with.... which meant resisting skipping a few chapters. 
The story had less action and was focusing more on the characters. Which I did like but that also made it feel like an extended prologue to Clockwork Princess.

I was overjoyed when they included Henry and Charlotte. I would have been really disappointed if Cassie just let them hang there.
Some parts of the story really took me by surprise. And Clockwork Prince did make me laugh, not as much as Clockwork Angel but enough. And I shed a few tears too.


I know it sounds like I really didn't like the book. I did.  I honestly did. It's just really hard to say the parts that I absolutely love without spoiling the book. So I am going to let you discover them.

As usual I am going to end this post with quotes.... There were a lot of quotes that I really liked so I am  going to try and reduce the list to as little  as possible:


“Ah,” said a voice from the doorway, “having your annual ‘everyone thinks Will is a lunatic’ meeting, are you? 
“It’s biannual,” said Jem. “And no, this is not that meeting.” 

“We live and breathe words. .... It was books that made me feel that perhaps I was not completely alone. They could be honest with me, and I with them. Reading your words, what you wrote, how you were lonely sometimes and afraid, but always brave; the way you saw the world, its colors and textures and sounds, I felt--I felt the way you thought, hoped, felt, dreamt. I felt I was dreaming and thinking and feeling with you. I dreamed what you dreamed, wanted what you wanted--and then I realized that truly I just wanted you.” 
“Demon pox, oh demon pox 
Just how is it acquired? 
One must go down to the bad part of town 
Until one is very tired. 
Demon pox, oh demon pox, I had it all along— 
Not the pox, you foolish blocks, 
I mean this very song— 
For I was right, and you were wrong!" 

“I shall charm him with such force that when I am done, he will be left lying limply on the ground, trying to remember his own name.” 
"I am not the one of us who has no heart.” 
Dear me,” said Will, and he took another bite of his apple. “Is it because I’m better-looking than you?” 
 endless hope, endless disappointment.” 
“Yes, she doesn't really look like either of us, does she? Perhaps she's a girl who's fallen madly in love with me and persists in following me wherever I go." 
"My talent is shape-shifting, Will, not acting," said Tessa, and at that Jem laughed out loud.”

“I've never minded it," he went on. "Being lost, that is. I had always thought one could not truly be lost if one knew one's own heart. But I fear I may be lost without knowing yours.” 
“One finds nobility in the oddest places.” 
“Did you just kiss me?" Will inquired. 
Magnus made a slip-second decision. "No." 
"I thought-" 
"On occasion the aftereffects of the painkilling spells can result in hallucinations of the most bizarre sort." 
"Oh," Will said. "How peculiar.” 

“Women do not think with logic and discretion but with emotions of the heart” 
“Lies and secrets, Tessa, they are like a cancer in the soul. They eat away what is good and leave only destruction behind.” 
“They say time heals all wounds, but that presumes the source of the grief is ifinite” 
“It's always better to live the truth than to live a lie.” 
“God knows we’re all drawn to what’s beautiful and broken.” 
“But am I clever and right or clever and wrong?” 

No comments:

Post a Comment